[sg-ops] [sg-hub] Survey on Global IPv6 Penetration 2014

LIM Fung limfung at cisco.com
Thu Jul 25 10:51:16 SGT 2013

HI Chun Sing,

AFAIK, CGN works the same way as NAT on a CPE - it's just another layer
of NAT so applications that work over the CPE should just work over CGN.

Now, although operators may choose to go dual stack, subscribers will
still need a way to reach IPv4 sites so while they may have global IPv6
connectivity, NAT44 may still be needed just to allow these users to
reach global IPv4 destinations (and they have to deploy RFC1918 range
for their subscribers since they cannot get hold of enough public
address blocks). The other way of doing it is to perform NAT64, but not
all applications work nicely over NAT64.

HTH :)

regards,
Lim Fung